Re: "static" declaration

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee <raganwald@yahoo.com> writes:

> I think this strikes at the heart of "lightweight" vs. "heavyweight"
> langauges. One of the things I look for in a lightweight langauge is
> the freedom to develop my own idioms and style.

I don't think that's a characteristic of a lightweight language:
python is an example of a lightweight language trying to ensure common
style and idioms.

[...]

> However, there's a "heavy" price to pay for standards. It's difficult
> to use another paradigm for those situations where the designer's
> concepts do not fit the situation. Look at the hacks (I intend this
> word in a complimentary sense) people have put together for Design by

Hum, i was mainly thinking about syntax, but here it's more like a mix
of reflexivity/syntax/dynamic features.

In that case I agree with you, lightweight languages have many
advantages for this.

But IMO that doesn't mean a common style can't be achieved (eg: OO in
perl is very flexible, but most people use the same style)

The drawbacks of this flexibility is the difficulty to enforce things
at compile time (eg: compare the poor pychecker with a java compiler)