Re: Scriptometer: measuring the ease of SOP (Script Oriented Programming)of programming languages

Ken Anderson wrote:
> I like your ideas, and that this is a good topic for a LL2 talk!

Sorry I wasn't clear. None of these are my ideas. They are Mark
Hammond's ideas.

> Howie Shrobe once told me to optimize for flexibility.  I think the
> importance of being dynamic increases every day.

I think that's the idea behind Parrot.

> However, why don't we start by using the "popular (gag)" VM's and taking
> the performance hit.  We'll be relatively happy.  In exchange for
> performance  we get a giant number of libraries we can provide
> convenient interfaces too, relatively easily.

Sometimes performance matters. Zope is a whole server side content
management system written totally in Python. They couldn't give up on
any performance. Also, don't forget the value in having access to *C*
libraries. Many of those are still more interesting than their Java
equivalents.

I think that CPython/JPython, Ruby/JRuby will continue with their
bifurcated strategy for the foreseeable future.

  Paul Prescod