Re: macros vs. blocks

   To: ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu
   cc: tlb@umbrellaresearch.com
   Subject: Re: macros vs. blocks
   Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:47:44 -0800
   From: Dave Long <dl@silcom.com>

Good points.

   (Languages like APL try to stream work-
   in-progress past several stations instead
   of blindly consing onto inventory between
   each operation.  Should we call systems
   which stream easily "kanban" systems?)

Lest we forget, 1984 was a very good year for this sort of
thing, with at least three important papers on the subject:

"Expressional Loops" by Richard C. Waters,
 in the 1984 ACM Conference on Principles of Programming Languages

"Listlessness Is Better than Laziness" by Philip Wadler,
  in the 1984 ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming

"Stream Processing" by Allen Goldberg and Robert Paige,
  also in the 1984 ACM Conference on Lisp and Functional Programming

See also Appendix A of CLTL2, which documents the final
form of Richard Waters' system.  A pity it has fallen into
relative disuse.

--Guy