Re: Language documentation

   Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:03:48 -0500 (EST)
   From: Eli Collins <edc206@cs.nyu.edu>
   To: fare@tunes.org, <ll1-discuss@ai.mit.edu>
   Subject: Re: Language documentation

   You can add snobol to the list! Great file i/o as well. There are many
   text munging languages besides Perl :)

That was my first thought, actually, and thanks for
mentioning it.  But I checked my manual for SNOBOL3
and two for SNOBOL4, and none actually mentions
file I/O in the first five chapters, which was the
arbitrary criterion (one SNOBOL book does get to it
in Chapter 7).  That's why I had to go further afield
and finally hit on RPG, which is all about files.

I really miss SNOBOL.  It was superior to awk in some ways.

--Guy