Re: Industry versus academia

Yes, I agree that it doesn't have to be this way.  One approach is to
provide tools
that take care of a lot of "plumbing" and "boilerplate".  This (I hope
you won't think
this is supposed to be a plug) is what the BEA Weblogic Workshop (WLW)
product is
trying to do for Web Services in a J2EE environment.  It's also one of
the things
Visual Basic is about. You could say that WLW is trying to make Java and
J2EE
"lightweight", in some senses in which the word "lightweight" has been
used around
here, by providing tools rather than by changing the langauge.

I think a lot of discussion here has impinged on the point that just as
you miss a lot
of you consider a language without considering its libraries, you also
can miss a lot
when you consider a language without considering its tools.  The main
answer that
real Lisp people will give to the "what about all those parentheses"
question usually
includes some mention of text editing tools that help with the parens
and turn them
to your advantage.  That's one example.

Anyway, if you have other approaches to solving the below-mentioned
problem, you
may have something that will interest big commercial consumers of
software such as
financial and telecomm companies.