Re: [Fwd: Re: Industry versus academia]

> Our engineers are still tracing memory leaks, for crying out loud.
LOL.

>I just hope it happens before I retire.  (I ended up in
>Gnome/SSL/XFree86 dependency Hell last night trying to upgrade a
>single Gnome application without trashing my system. While I flatter
>myself that I know Unix, I was unable to satisfy all the conflicting
>constraints.  Why should a project planning tool require me to upgrade
>OpenSSL?)

John -- you are as funny as I ever remember you being ! (Sorry if you
didn't intend that post as humorous -- I can just picture you writing
it -- so had to smile in places :) Open-source != free (you seem to
imply the price is zero .. it is not). Think of the $$ you spent last
night -- worse, think of the opportunity cost.

I completely understand where you are coming from (I'm amazed that you
are still making a go of it against the Lockheed Martins and SAIC's of
the world -- who seem to rig the game in DC before anyone suspects
:).

I hadn't run across Manny Lehman's work before -- so thanks for
the pointers.