Small time coding [Was: Re: About Visual Basic [Was: Industry versus academia]]

Very nice discussion of VB.  I've often wondered why VB had such mindshare
among certain groups of programmers.  Another point often brought up in
support of VB (and related to some of your points) is that VB was one of
the first environments to supply a component-like model where custom
self-contained GUI controls could be created and then distributed to
others.  Perhaps you'd like to comment on that?

BTW some lisp and scheme debuggers (MIT scheme's comes to mind) have many
of the interactive features you have in mind (like starting a repl at any
point in the stack).

OK, now here comes a rant.

I really like your expression "small-time coding - the coding which does
not require any knowledge of algorithms and design".  It crystallizes a
concept that has been bugging me for a long time.  The notion of "end-user
programming" is talked about a lot in educational circles.  The implication
is that such coding can be done by "mere mortals" and not "coding gods",
which implies (but rarely states outright) that it requires neither a deep
knowledge of algorithms or of program design (you know, those things that
make programming *actually interesting* ;-)).  I think there is a lot of
misunderstanding on this topic.  The primary misunderstanding is that the
reason existing programming languages and environments are too hard for
non-coders to learn is that they have complicated text-based syntaxes
instead of being GUI-based.  Even though there is some truth to this (at
the entry level at least), I think it misses the big picture completely.
Even if you had the most intuitive GUI-based programming language
(something like LabView comes to mind), you *still* have to deal with
algorithms and design.  Even though most "small-time coders" probably
aren't going to initially create anything that requires sophisticated
algorithms or deep understanding of design abstractions, sooner or later
the programs they develop will scale up to the point where it will make a
difference, and at that point, all the GUIs in the world won't help them.
There is simply no substitute for actually understanding the art and
science of programming if you want to be a programmer, just like you can't
design cars if you don't know something about mechanical and electrical
engineering.  The implication of the end-user programming advocates often
appears to be that learning to program should be like learning to speak a
new language, which is just wrong.  The linguistic aspects of the problem
are just the tip of the iceberg; all the really difficult stuff comes
later.

The reason I think so many of us are so interested in programming languages
is that we want languages that make it easier to do the hard stuff:
designing complex algorithms and designing, extending and maintaining
complex programs.  GUI-based programming environments aren't going to solve
these problems.  In fact, for algorithms at least I would argue that
text-based languages are superior.

Thanks, I feel better.

Mike