Re: Small time coding [Was: Re: About Visual Basic [Was: Industry versus academia]]

>   I like your comments.  Especially about mentoring,which i ment to mention.
>   Pair programming is probably the best way to learn a language.
Actually not just for the language. I'm always learning new stuff by
looking over Pat's shoulder when he works on a Lisp Machine :) -- and
the other day, I did the ctrl-space thing on VAJ/Eclipse IDE (it's
similar to the intellisense in VB that others have posted about) and
verified that not ONE programmer here had discovered it on their own.

My conclusion -- "professional programmers don't read manuals, except
as a last resort" :). They play, explore and learn by doing. Which
perhaps works better with mentors-coaches than without.