Re: strategies for learning new languages

I second this, and I'd add that I look for smallish (< 1000 line)
mini-projects that are good candidates for the language, and then I do the
miniproject.  Until you've actually written at least several hundred lines
of code in a language you effectively know nothing about it.

Mike