Re: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote & The Programmer's Apprentice

I think it is also worth noting that finding and using an
inefficient but useful tool often leads to it becoming more
efficient.  Garbage collection (which seems to be our canonical
example) was very inefficient early on, but now garbage collected
systems are often more efficient than explicitly managed memory
systems.  Researchers have been attracted to the issue and have
eliminated most of the technical barriers to its use.  The same can
be said of countless other useful tools and abstractions that we
take for granted today.

- Russ