RE: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote & The Programmer's Apprentice

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:

> Christopher Barber wrote:
>
> > Of course, Moore's law will not hold.  The rate of doubling of the
> > amount of transisters you can fit on a chip has slowed since Moore's
> > original observation.  It is quite possible that the growth could
> > hit a brick wall at some point in the future.  Of course, computers
> > could become faster for other reasons, such as increased
> > parallelism.
>
> Or they could choose to not become faster but instead more useful.
> We're seeing this with the new Intel chipset -- I forget its name, the
> one that sounds like a brand of spaghetti.  It is somewhat clever of
> Intel to recognize that customers notice features, not innards, and
> therefore market it as if it were about WiFi.

Anyone have more ideas about what hardware makers could do to make chips
more useful from the PL POV? Any relevant lessons learned from Lisp
machines?

I'm not sure how Centrino makes things more useful beyond the typical
advances (fewer chips, lower power consumption). I agree that the WiFi bit
is a red herring.

Eli