Re: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote & The Programmer's Apprentice

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 02:42 PM, Andrew McKinlay wrote:
> How about Hillis's Connection Machine and its Lisp?

I think it had the idea of combining data/computation parallelism right
but it was done on a macroscopic level - so it ended up just being a
bunch of PCs on a custom network. And the software parallelism was
either vector or processor oriented, which limits it's usefulness. I
think it would be more interesting to explore the question of how
fine-grain can combined data/computation parallelism be taken. Could we
give every number it's own local ALU? If not, how about every 100
numbers? etc. Do we find we still need CPUs at all if start heading
down that path?

Cheers,
Steve
Io, a small language: http://www.iolanguage.com/