Re: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Paul Graham wrote:
> Graphics is one of the special applications I was careful
> to exempt from such predictions.  I expect that it (along
> with e.g. cryptography and simulations) will continue to have
> special-purpose hardware and languages to match.  --pg

Yes, but there are many other areas that can use unlimited compute
resources. How about networking? How much bandwidth is enough? High
performance routers are already using DSPs and custom hardware for hash
table data structures and there is at least one startup using FPGAs.
How about AI? How smart is smart enough? There may be commonly used
data structures that AI applications could benefit from specialized
hardware.

Cheers,
Steve
Io, a small language: http://www.iolanguage.com/