Re: Paul Graham's PyCon Keynote

Eli Collins <edc206@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> Joe Armstrong argued at LL2 that concurrent programs are easier to write
> and understand than sequential programs. Could an Erlang descendant
> running on commodity PCs with thousands of FPGAs finally liberate us from
> the von Neuman Style? I'm not so sure parallelism can't climb to the top
> of the ladder of abstraction.

Have you looked at Connection Machine Lisp? I took the liberty of
putting the paper on the internet,
http://www.bluetail.com/~luke/misc/papers/ConnectionMachineLisp.pdf

I was blown away by the novelty, and I'm very eager to hear some CM
anecdotes from the Thinking Machines veterans on this list. I
understand that CMs were applied to some interesting problems, but my
searches haven't revealed any "case study" type of literature to say
how it all turned out!

Cheers,
Luke