Re: Erlang type system and static vs. dynamic types

On 2003-05-03T06:07:45-0400, Russ Ross wrote:
> Static typing ala ML
> or Haskell always seems like a good idea for large projects (which
> is a common argument), but in my experience enforcing abstraction
> boundaries and a good module system is far more important for a
> group effort than what is happening inside a function or its
> interface.

But abstraction boundaries and module systems *are* static typing!
As John C. Reynolds wrote,

    Type structure is a syntactic discipline for enforcing levels of
    abstraction.

Of course, this sentence by itself doesn't state the converse -- that
type structure is the -only- such discipline -- but I would support that
statement as well.

Reynolds, John C. 1983.  Types, abstraction and parametric polymorphism.
In _Information processing 83: Proceedings of the IFIP 9th world computer
congress_, ed. R. E. A. Mason, 513-523. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science.
ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/user/jcr/typesabpara.pdf

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
David Dill (a computer science professor at Stanford) is collecting