Re: A plea for a new old language

At 12:09 PM -0400 5/7/03, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
>Dan:
>
>I'm confused by your message.
>
>The use of CPS is orthogonal to the presence of continuations:

Right, but for people to understand CPS, they must understand
continuations. That was the point--most folks, right or wrong (OK,
wrong, but still), understand continuations as this nebulous, scary
thing. I want to use CPS, and for that I must have a developer base
not scared of continuations, which means I need, or at least want, a
language that people aren't scared of that presents continuations.

>PS: Ruby has continuations, as do some variants of Smalltalk.  So that
>     should satisfy your needs.

I know about Ruby--I did mention that in the original message. At the
moment Ruby lacks the mindshare penetration, and continuations are,
so far as I've seen, generally ignored in it. Smalltalk doesn't fit
the bill--given that it's nearly as old as I am, if it did fit I
wouldn't have to ask. (I do wish it, or Lisp, or Scheme, would be
enough, but they aren't)
--
                                         Dan

                                       teddy bears get drunk