Re: PG: Hackers and Painters

Okay, I may have exaggerated a bit.  The pair programming idea
actually intrigues me for some kinds of code (as you indicate--the
really gritty stuff).  What I really don't like is when I get a
drive-by bug fix that makes something like:

for(int i = 0; foo(i); i++)

look more like:

for(int i = 0; /* 5/14/03 RGR: hmm.. i think this mite be the right plaece to do this but I'm not really sure */ foo(bar(i)) /* end of change */; i++)

This is based loosely on a real example.  Besides the typos and line
wrap, the presence of the comment is annoying (put a change record
in the version control system marking the change, and contact me
before making it to clear up the uncertainty).

Leaving that as it is will distract me every time I open the file.
The visual flow of the code is disrupted and for some reason that
really bothers me in code that I've written carefully.

To return to the article that prompted all this, some people write
code that is beautiful and artfully subtle (some of the code I've
seen from Ken Shan--a participant on this list--qualifies).  I don't
claim to be at that level, but it still bothers me when someone
leans over my shoulder and splatters paint all over a canvas that
I'm still working on.

- Russ