Re: PG: Hackers and Painters

I think that an XP advocate would say that's why you have coding standards, so that everyone can agree what code should look like.  Kent Beck's book explicitly says that there is no code ownership in an XP environment, but that you have to have continuous integration, continuous testing, pair programming, and adherence to coding standards to make that work.  Pair programming is something like an "extreme code review", in that there's always another pair of eyes looking at code.  Of course, getting agreement on the coding standards is always the difficult part.  And you have to be careful that Pair Programming doesn't devolve into mentoring, or dictation, or "road crew syndrome" (one guy working, the rest goofing off).

As far as PG's original question, the book "Pragmatic Programmer" talks about the "broken window theory" which basically says that neglect encourages decay, i.e. code that's got known problems tends to recieve shoddy treatment from programmers, thereby creating more problems.  I've definitely observed this on some projects.  Prag Prog doesn't offer a silver bullet, just the admonition to "fix broken windows", i.e. don't let known problems go unfixed.  But again, that's difficult if you can't agree on whether a window's broken or not.