Re: Language Implementation Languages

Bootstrapping is an interesting problem for self-hosting languages.
One of my favorite examples is the Jalapeno project at IBM.  It's a
JVM implemented in Java which requires a bit of magic to make
everything work:

http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/oss/jikesrvm/info/pubs.shtml#wcsss99

Scheme48 that you mention below with its Prescheme subset is another
really cool example.  It emits C code to be compiled on the target
platform for building the actual VM.  Prescheme is a proper subset
of Scheme, though, so you can use any old scheme interpreter to get
the process going.

- Russ