Re: another take on hackers and painters

Jakub Travnik <J.Travnik@sh.cvut.cz> wrote:
 >Very nice example of static typing! ;-)
 >
 >See, there is an error. The error is in the type information
 >_only_. If you did not write type information, all would be correct
 >(I know that in this case this is not needed in Haskell). Of course,
 >compiler will catch the error, but in the language with dynamic typing
 >there could be no such error.

Of course, in the language with dynamic typing, you could also write:

    qsort [] = []
    qsort (x : xs) = qsort [ y | y <- xs, y <= x ]
                     ++ x ++ qsort [ y | y <- xs, y > x ]

which would work fine.  For a while.  (Depending on the definition of
++, <=, and >, it might actually work for quite a while.)

Tommy "got bit by a relative of this one Monday" McGuire