Re: another take on hackers and painters

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 06:14 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
 > It can, if you cheat...
> For Java developers, BeanShell can make a pretty logical scripting
> language.
> Type declarations are optional, so it has a scripting language feel
> that
> pure Java lacks.  Since the semantics are still Java semantics, you
> don't
> run into the kinds of issues, such as type translation, that tend to
> arise
> when scripting Java with Scheme, Python, Javascript etc.

I agree that that is cheating -  it sounds like a language on top of
Java, and not Java itself. Kinda like saying any turning complete
language could implement eval.

Cheers,
Steve
"Statically typed languages are like American sports cars.
They go fast, but only in a straight line"