Re: Source filters

Michael Vanier wrote:

>Much as I hate to compliment perl ;-) ;-), that's pretty effing amazing.  I
>wonder what the original motivation was for this feature.

Your wish is my command--the paper by Damien Conway about his
Perl-in-Latin module, Lingua::Romana::Perligata:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/HTML/Perligata.html

About Damien Conway (from this page http://www.manning.com/Conway/
of his publisher, Manning, who published his book, "Object Oriented Perl" ):

> Damian Conway holds a Ph.D. in Computer Science and is currently a
> Senior Lecturer in Computer Science and Software Engineering at Monash
> University in Melbourne, Australia. He has written numerous technical
> and scientific papers, as well as a textbook on advanced
> object-oriented techniques in C++. He is the author of numerous
> popular Perl modules, including: Parse::RecDescent, Text::Balanced,
> Getopt::Declare, Lingua::EN::Inflect, Tie::SecureHash, and
> Class::Multimethod (available from your local CPAN mirror).
>
> Damian Conway is one of the most active members of the Perl community
> and has just been named the recipient of the first ever YAS Perl
> DevelopmentGrant awarded by Yet Another Society, which will allow him
> to entirely devote the next year to writing and lecturing on Perl and
> working on related projects. He is a highly sought presenter at Perl
> conferences, is a contributor to the Perl Journal and is the
> three-time winner of the annual Larry Wall award for Practical Utility.

___
DC

P.S. Not that anyone on this list would likely be interested :-)
but... Conway's book, "Object Oriented Perl" is rather well done--
after recapitulating Perl's features in one chapter he then goes deep
into the implications and applications of OOP in Perl.

There are sample chapters--recommended, particularly the first one:
http://www.manning.com/getpage.html?project=conway&filename=Chapters.html

This may (or may not) contain different material:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/papers/PDF/cyberdigest.pdf

FWIW,  the book is also available in electronic format from manning.com
for half the print price.

And: Damien's homepage:   http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~damian/index.html

We return you now to our regularly scheduled discussion of Painters and
Hackers, already in progress..
.