Re: Source filters

> Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 18:42:49 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se>
>
> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>
> > I think Python and Ruby might have source filters, but I'm not sure.
> > It's sort of akin to C's preprocessor, only it fails to suck. :)
> >
> Last time I looked Ruby did NOT have something similar to "source
> filters". I guess something similar could be acheived by redefining the
> "require" method though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert Feldt

As far as I know python has nothing like this either.  I think most python
programmers would scream if anyone tried to introduce this feature, and I'm
pretty sure Guido wouldn't allow it.  Python's philosophy is "everyone
should be able to read the source code without any problems", which has
much to recommend it, although it rules out a lot of nice things like
macros and source filters.

Mike