Can a functional language be sequential?

Forgive my ignorance of what must be a pretty basic point,
but I'm wondering if the language I'm working on, Bento, can
accurately be labeled a functional language.

A Bento program consists of a hierarchy of object definitions;
each definition may contain further definitions as well as
zero or more constructions.  When a Bento object is
instantiated, the constructions in the associated definition
are evaluated in sequence.

The constructions in such sequences obey the constraints of a
function in functional programming as I understand them (i.e.,
no mutable variables and no side effects), and I don't see how
putting functions in an ordered list would change this.  But
the functional languages I've seen all seem to avoid any hint
of sequential programming.  Is this simply a point of style,
or does allowing sequences of functions disqualify a language
from being called functional?

Michael

Michael St. Hippolyte
http://www.bentodev.org