Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

On Monday, June 2, 2003, at 11:48 PM, Mike Newhall wrote:
> 	The general idea is simply that the bundle of ideas represented by
> the design of the LISP family of languages is important, but seems to
> have no name.  Other languages also possess many of the same qualities
> of LISP and Scheme.  These languages are often labeled 'functional';
> perhaps the whole 'functional programming languages' field should
> bifurcate into *true* functional languages and those that have the
> 'LISP quality', whatever people want to call it.

I agree with what you're getting at but would add that code-as-data and
dynamic features including dynamic typing are just as at home with OO
languages and not unique or any better suited (IFAICS) to functional
flavored languages like LISP.

Cheers,
Steve
Io, a small language: http://www.iolanguage.com/