Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

Mike Newhall <mike@newhall.net> writes:

> 	Tail recursion is cool but that is a real-world optimization,
> 	no?  On an abstract machine you never run out of stack space (if
> 	we are talking purely from an abstract language design
> 	perspective -- i.e., ease of programming from a human point of
> 	view).

True, but before I experienced that real-world optimization, I shied
away from recursion because of the performance costs and danger of stack
overflow.  Exploring recursion in Scheme makes me more open to taking
advantage of it in languages that don't have this optimization,
e.g. Common Lisp.

--
<brlewis@[(if (brl-related? message)    ; Bruce R. Lewis
              "users.sourceforge.net"   ; http://brl.codesimply.net/