Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

For me, the attraction of Scheme is the kind of elegant, extensible
software it promotes, most recently GIMP, before that, Emacs.  Both
give me, the user, the power to add, customize or delete to my heart's
content.  OK, Emacs is Lisp, but I do most of my Scheme development in
Emacs, and look to Lisp for advice as though it were a favorite uncle.
There's also MIT's Scheme version of Emacs.

[ Aside-- Speaking of Emacs in other languages, I heard there was a
Java Emacs (true?), and that reminds me that Guy Steele, in a standing
room only MIT talk on Java years ago, challenged listeners to
reimplement Emacs in Java.  It sounds as though that finally happened.
Does it feel the same as the Emacs we all know? ]

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk