RE: What's so cool about Scheme?

> it's possible to do OO programming in almost any language

Sure. It just that OO languages provide explicit support for OO programming.
Within reason, you can more-or-less program in any style you choose in any
language you choose. It's obvious that for many styles, if you don't choose
a language that explicitly supports that style, then it is probably going to
be painful.

> >"Objects are encapsulated state machines exchanging messages amongst
> >themselves, and with a number of external 'worlds'."

> ... Surely 'exchanging messages' is equivaled to 'functions calling each
other' ...

Imagine an ADT (say, in ML or Haskell). You can only use the provided
functions to create and manipulate values of this type. Is this an
encapsulated state machine that responds to messages? It looks very similar
to me. Is this object-oriented? Maybe, but that depends on your definition
of object-oriented.

Would it be fair to call it object-oriented if it was implemented in
Haskell, which is not generally recognised as an objected-oriented language?
Note that Haskell provides good support for defining opaque ADTs, so arguing
that "you've rolled your own" doesn't hold water, as you're not doing
anything the language doesn't support or encourage.