Re: What's so cool about Scheme?

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 07:58 AM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> If Scheme is a scripting language, it's the fastest one on the planet,
> by a
> wide margin.

That's impressive. Are one or more of the languages tested here:
http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
a flavor of Scheme? xemacs, guile maybe?

> So, if one's goal is to implement a "scripting language", implementing
> it in
> Scheme makes a lot of sense - you can leverage Scheme's
> language-building
> features, ending up with a much smaller and more maintainable code
> base, and
> you could easily generate a very fast interpreter binary.

Which Scheme would result in a smaller code base? Scheme48 is about 25K
lines of code. Given that the book makes no mention(I didn't see
anything and there's not index entry) of garbage collection, I assume
the code base would need to include Scheme itself for the runtime?

> If, OTOH, one's goal is to be a human compiler, by all means, keep
> churning
> out that hand-crafted C code!  ;oP

A concern with developing a high level language is that there are heavy
costs involved with doing things dynamically. With C, I get the feeling
that I can optimize the important bits, know what the important bits
are and see to a reasonable extent what sort of instructions the
machine will get from the ones I give it. With Scheme, these things
aren't clear to me and I wonder if Scheme might make too many of these
decisions for me. For example, what if I need to integrate well with C
libraries? What if the concurrency model needs to call back and forth
between C and my language? What if lists aren't the the ideal data
structure for my language? What if I need a different sort of garbage
collector?

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html