Hardware Description Languages(and macros).

	I realize this may not be the best place to ask about this, but I thought
people here might have an interesting perspective on this.
	After having a senior design course that involved VHDL, I decided that
designing hardware with a programming language was cool, but there had to
be something better than VHDL. So I started looking around, and maybe I
don't know the right combination of words to search for in Google or
citeseer, but about all I can find that's dramatically different than
VHDL(and sounds a lot better) is Confluence. Everything else(Verilog, etc.)
looks a lot like VHDL in terms of complexity.
	Is anyone researching hardware description languages besides VHDL? I found
a lot of stuff about generating better FPGA layouts and ASIC's from VHDL,
but no work into anything BETTER than VHDL.
	As a note, Confluence seems so much better than VHDL. The core of it is a
functional programming language. I don't know if it does macros, but in my
experiences with VHDL I found myself writing quite a lot of code generation
tools for writing things like Finite State Machines, it definitely seems
like a very good avenue to pursue, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any
work, or was doing any work? VHDL seems so klunky compared to what a good
solution would be.

						Matt Estes