Re: LFM + LFSP = LFE?

On Thu 12 Jun 2003 03:40, Michael Vanier wrote:
> things.  One might call these "languages for everyone" or LFEs for
> short.  Some examples:

[snip]

> Others that I'm less familiar with might include Curl and Rebol.
> Anybody know of any others?

Well, an obvious example would be Ruby, I guess, which has many features of
Smalltalk (everything is an object, blocks) and Scheme (closures,
continuations). It is much easier to learn that Perl, yet offers more
advanced features.
I suspect the main reason it is not more popular is that there is Python
and Ruby doesn't improve on it sufficiently to justify the switch for most
people.

> Note that one of the common features of many of these languages is that
> they provide lisp-like power with a friendlier syntax.

True of Ruby, too. Instead of:
(map (lambda (n) (* n 2)) '(0 1 2 3 4))
You write:
[0,1,2,3,4].map{|n| n*2}