RE: LFM + LFSP = LFE?

I've done this also, just like you, while using
VAJava.
And, for the most part, it worked, and allowed me to
be a more-or-less good citizen when other team members
were using everything from Emacs to JBuilder to
<cough, I wish I were lying> Notepad.

Where it fell down and created sometimes quite a bit
of work is in the case of resolving conflicts via
3-way merge.  The diffs were always huge, even if the
actual changes weren't terribly big.

However, my choice of VAJava was because it helped my
productivity, and my solution was just to check in
working code more frequently.

Ranjan