Re: LFM + LFSP = LFE?

Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
> Paul Prescod wrote:
>

>>LFE == CP4E
>

> It's a nice bit of propaganda.  The TeachScheme! folks (and no doubt
> others) had been doing this for some years when CP4E came out, which
> the document accepts only grudgingly.  (As I recall, the original
> version of the document didn't even go that far.

The paper is quite clear about the difference between their vision and
that of preceding projects:

"A key difference between Logo and our proposal lies in our vision that
millions of (amateur) programmers will be developing open source
software together--Logo appears content with teaching limited
programming skills to younger children, for whom computer programming is
mostly a way to train their mind in abstract thinking. Logo also has
limited applicability in the real world of software development."

""The people who had access to the hardware that was needed to run ABC
(initially it only ran on Unix system, although it was later ported to
the Mac and PC) were often experienced computer users who felt
frustrated that ABC didn't "speak the same language" as the rest of
their applications.""

"We believe that the next step, having millions of programmers, will
cause a change of a different quality-the abundant availability of
personalized software."

"The ability to modify or customize software is important in crisis
situations, when experts cannot be appealed to for help..."

This requires a language that can be used for the personalization of
software produced by open source programmers:

  * http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/automation/
  * <http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/Components/gnome-corba.html>
  * http://udk.openoffice.org/
  * http://www.osafoundation.org/architecture.htm
  * http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2001/view/e_sess/1289
  * http://sourceforge.net/snippet/detail.php?type=snippet&id=100833
  *
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2002-February/000249.html>
  * http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/173216

CP4E means that the students are learning a language that mainstream
programmers will also be happy to program in. Otherwise it isn't "everyone".

  Paul Prescod