RE: s-exprs + prototypes

James McCartney wrote:
> On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 08:44 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:
>
> > Using PLT Scheme, it's very easy to implement a call syntax like this,
> > which could be useful for prototyping your language.
> The point of this is to have a virtual machine with a real time GC for
> real time audio, so I am not really interested in doing it in scheme.

I did say "could be useful for prototyping" (meaning prototyping in the
sense of getting something working quickly).  If you want to experiment with
the high-level design of your language, and the language is going to be
s-expression based, using an existing s-expression language to do that
quickly makes a lot of sense.

It's similar to Intel implementing a simulation of a new processor, even
though they don't plan to ship the CPU as software on a DVD.  It could be
argued that committing a design to C is only marginally less irreversible
than committing it to silicon...

Anton