Re: LL3, Nov. 8, 2003, Call for participation

    > From: Matthew Estes <matt@maintree.com>

    >          So if two graduate students in a moment of insanity decided to
    > make a 2000 mile road trip(there and back) for this, does anyone have
    > recommendations for safe and free or cheap housing availability for Friday
    > and Saturday night?

    > At 01:04 AM 10/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:
    > >If you plan to attend, please register as soon as possible.  There is
    > >no cost to attend, but we need to know how much food to order.

Not free but cheap:  pretty much everywhere in the country there are a
few reasonably reliable chain motels (e.g., the famous one named after
the smallest product of two distinct primes).   They tend not to be
_that_ dirty though I suggest bringing your own towel rather than
using the dinky inadequately absorbant ones that they serve.

Another good "cheap travel" trick (not necessarily legal but
effective) is to bring a camp stove, some basic cooking and eating
utensils, and some small bottles of propane --- grocery stores are
ubiquitous too.  Use it in the parking lot, not the room, of course.
Think of it as "urban camping".

That advice can easily get you into the <$50/day range, at least the
last time I checked, assuming that you're driving.

-t