Re: Rather, DSSLs increase modularity, productivity

A couple of interesting applications of byte-code engineering in Java
I've come across recently:

BCEL - the library used to implement a lot of these byte-code hacks:
(have a look at their projects page to get an idea of how popular this
approach has become)
http://jakarta.apache.org/bcel/

Most Java AOP implementations seem to be implemented this way:
http://www.aspectj.org
http://aspectwerkz.codehaus.org/

The Tapestry web framework uses it to generate new java classes on the
fly from xml templates:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/

Hibernate, probably the most popular Java O-R mapping library uses
byte-code hacks to hook object mods for db updates:
http://www.hibernate.org

On the one hand it's cool that the JVM allows all this, but it seems
like more explicit support for this kind of metaprogramming in the
language would be better.

--
Miles Egan <miles@caddr.com>