Re: Rather, DSSLs increase modularity, productivity

Matthias Felleisen writes:
> On Monday, November 17, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Neelakantan Krishnaswami
> wrote:
> >
> > IIUC, the type system for Java generics ensures that a type-safe Java
> > 1.5 program will never throw a casting exception at runtime.
>
> With all respect, but I doubt that one. Not even ML can do this.

I'm only talking about Java's ClassCastException, not other kinds of
errors, such as the RuntimeStoreException that Java's covariant arrays
permit.

Incidentally, I don't understand your point about ML: it doesn't have
a cast operator, so it seems like it's vacuously the case that it can
never fail a cast.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@cs.cmu.edu