Re: How to Design (Declarative) Programming Languages

At 5:55 PM -0800 11/18/03, Mike Austin wrote:
>"Scott McKay" <swm@itasoftware.com> wrote in message
>>  About 8 or 9 months ago, there was a thread on "how to
>>  design a language".  I offered some thought, other people
>>  chipped in, and I volunteered to collate the results.
>>  This is as good an excuse as any to post what's there so
>>  far.  I never really finished it, so it's unintentionally
>>  a bit folksy...
>
>--snip--
>
>It's a good list.  Do you mind if I put this on my web stie?  Or should I
>ask the individual posters, or is it public domain since it was posted on
>usenet?  So many questions, so little time :)
>
>"If you can't convince them, confuse them"
>   - Harry S. Truman
>
>-- Mike

Since I plan to turn this into a paper and since copyright
covers the expression of an idea (not the idea itself), and
since I actually rewrote most of the people's comments before
including them in the document, I think I should probably put
a copyright notice on it.  So please leave the credits for the
other contributors and add the following to the top:

   Fifty Questions for a Prospective Language Designer
   Scott McKay
   Copyright (c) 2003, all rights reserved

All you other contributors, please contact me directly if you
think I stole your contributions verbatim and *do not* wish to
give me permission to include your [credited] contributions,
please tell me so we can fix the document.  Thanks.