Re: Of Legal Language and CS Notation

I'm not sure what Mr. Wasilko had in mind, but I've talked extensively
on this subject
with a friend who is has been both an actual practicing lawyer and an
actual practicing
software engineer. From conversations with him, plus some with other
lawyers, I have
tentatively concluded that:

(a) One reason that legal contracts are written in such a seemingly
jargon-y way is that
lawyers are carefully copying language that has been used before,
because that language
has been already tested by courts; this is a "historical accident" reason.

(b) Some contracts are much more readable than others, and often the
less readable ones
are simply the result of lawyers who are unskilled: either they do not
know how to express
themselves clearly, or they load up the langauge with lots of extra
stuff in a largely-unnecessary
attempt to make sure there are no holes or flaws.

(c) Many contracts could be expressed more clearly if they could use the
constructs of very
basic computer programming to a greater extent than they can already;
the main reason they
can't is (a).

(d) Some contracts are written to be intentionally misleading for
various nefarious purposes;
this is hard to prove but there are some cases that seem very compelling.

By the way, opinions of appellate courts are generally not hard to read
and understand.
(It may be hard for one of us to know whether there are good
counter-arguments, but
that's a different question.) You do have to learn some basic "terms of
art" ("term of art"
is an official jargon phase that means "official jargon phase") for
important legal concepts
like "precedent", "narrow issue", and so on, but they're mostly not
hard.  (And if you
want to follow the references, they have something that's as technical
as a URL to
be able write a concise pointer to a case or statute or law review
article, but you can
hardly blame them.)