Re: The Accessibility of Type Theory Research

On Nov 20, 2003, at 9:22 PM, Anton van Straaten wrote:

> Hey, you should check out Haskore, a computer music system embedded in
> Haskell:
> http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/haskore/
>
> It might provide an incentive to learn something about advanced
> statically
> typed systems... :)

I am aware of it. Seems like the last release was in 2000. But I've not
heard of many folks using it, and I don't find much interesting about
it. The pattern classes in SuperCollider are more powerful and more
concise. In fact I find that Haskore tries too hard to make a type out
of everything and so overly constrains the musical concepts in a
preconceived way.

My language has some popularity, is taught in many computer music
programs in universities, and has had quite a few pieces written and
performed with it. Musicians don't really care about type systems..

> You do know that magic carpets aren't real, right?

Literature must be lost on you.

> Why "in spite of", though?  More information is available to us today,
> more
> easily, than ever before.  The concepts finding their way into
> languages
> like Io today were pioneered by academics, decades ago.  I'm not an
> academic, but I've benefitted enormously from the academic information
> that's available, including many of the references that have been
> given on
> this list.  If you "don't even bother" with any of that, that's your
> choice.
>
> The only "spite" here is in the sense of "cutting off your nose to
> spite
> your face".  It's hardly surprising that you can't find many academics
> willing to spend time giving free tutoring.

I think you presume that I am taking a role here that I am not. I've
published papers myself. But on computer music, not on type theory.

--
--- james mccartney   james@audiosynth.com   <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time audio synthesis programming language