Re: The Accessibility of Type Theory Research

Anton van Straaten wrote:

>If I began posting on a composer's mailing list, saying I was composing
>something, and claiming I didn't need to know anything about music
>terminology or notation, what kind of reaction would I get?  "Programmers
>don't really care about musical notation", I might say.

Many non-classical composers have little formal training in notation or
theory but manage to compose music despite this.  Music notation is
necessary only to express performance instructions on paper, but this
can and often is done in other ways.  Granted, if you want to discuss
music with other musicians without actually playing or listening to it,
you have to find a common language,  but it is not at all necessary to
its creation nor is it needed to appreciate it.

- Christopher