Re: dynamic vs. static typing

On 9 Dec 2003, at 18:42, Guy Steele wrote:

> I'd like to add that Bill Joy and I explicitly
> tried to fight this mindset when we wrote section 4.5.5 of JLS1, titled
> "Variables Have Types, Objects Have Classes".  (It would have been more
> complete to write "Expressions Have Types, Objects Have Classes" but we
> knew people focus most on types in connection with declaring variables.
> The section itself discusses both variables and expressions.)

This was one of the section the Java lang spec that I appreciated a lot
(back in those days ;).

Why was this changed in the 2nd edition? Now, it also talks about
runtime types and mixes the terms types and classes freely, with no
apparent reason...

Pascal

--
Tyler: "How's that working out for you?"
Jack: "Great."