Re: the forward method [dynamic vs. static typing]

On Dec 9, 2003, at 16:40, Ken Shan wrote:

> Static typing can make programs more concise: I can write
>
>     getLine >>= print . (/2) . read
>
> or
>
>     getLine >>= print . not . read
>
> rather than
>
>     getLine >>= print . (/2) . readDouble
>
> or
>
>     getLine >>= print . not . readBool

I don't see what this has to do with static or dynamic typing. It has
more to do with whether or not your language allows for some type of
polymorphism so you can use the same function/message name, which is an
orthogonal concern. Dylan, Lisp, Smalltalk and C++ all allow for this.

--
Chris Page - Software Wrangler - palmOne, Inc.

   Dylan + You = Code
   <http://www.gwydiondylan.org/>
   <http://www.cafepress.com/chrispage>