Re: the forward method [dynamic vs. static typing]

On Dec 9, 2003, at 7:40 PM, Ken Shan wrote:

> Static typing can make programs more concise: I can write
>
>     getLine >>= print . (/2) . read
>
> or
>
>     getLine >>= print . not . read
>
> rather than
>
>     getLine >>= print . (/2) . readDouble
>
> or
>
>     getLine >>= print . not . readBool

Jumping rather late; Ken, this doesn't seem like a (generally) good
idea.  That is, when the meaning of a function call depends not just on
its inputs but also on how its output is used, it could be very hard to
reason about a program.

Typically, type systems help you to construct a proof that certain
errors cannot arise during evaluation.  When parts of that proof are
used to alter the evaluation itself, you suddenly have a class of
_runtime_ errors (or rather, "mis-behaviors") that can only be
understood by examining the type proof.

I see that read is something of a special case, but even here I can
imagine some _really_confusing_ errors:  E.G.: compiled program
prompts: "Enter a String:".  User enters a string. Now user gets
message:  "read: expected double, given string".  Huh?

I admit that this is somewhat contrived, because in general when the
programmer asks for a string, the result of that call will be used in a
way that allows the type system to infer that it must be a string.  In
a test harness, though, I can see this coming up.

So: does Haskell (or some of its implementations) really work this way?

john

p.s.: I've read about ten messages past the one I'm responding to; if
this topic has already been hashed out, please ignore it.