I build systems that use cryptography to empower and protect their users.
The projects that excite me the most:
(1) serve the interests of the end user,
(2) provide strong and precise forms of security,
often using new cryptographic ideas, and
(3) have impact through real-world deployment.
My recent projects include:
- The Tiptoe system for private search,
which lets a client search a chunk of the web while hiding its query
from the search engine itself.
- Systems for private information retrieval, which allow
a client to query a remote database server while hiding its query
from the server.
Our work has:
reduced the computational cost of these schemes
the security properties they provide,
and applied them
to practical private-search problems.
for authentication that provide strong hardware-backed
security protections, while still protecting against a wide class of
hardware faults and backdoors.
In the past, I have worked on:
For more details,
please see my full list of publications