510 501 6227
Looking for full-time role (technical or non-technical, paid or unpaid) on a progressive political campaign July-Nov 2018.
Demonstrated hustle as Airbnb's 16th engineer, helping grow team to 1000 engineers and marketplace to 190 countries and 40 languages.
Software Engineer, Airbnb (Oct 2011-Mar 2018, San Francisco)
- M.S., Computer Science (Natural Language Processing), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Aug 2008.
- Master's thesis: Dependency Reordering Features for Japanese-English Phrase-Based Translation, supervised by Michael Collins.
- Teaching assistant for 6.00, Introduction to CS and Programming.
- B.S., Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Jan 2008. GPA 4.9. Elective focus in linguistics.
Software Engineer, Google Japan (Oct 2008-Sep 2011, Tokyo)
- I led internationalization of Airbnb's product. The majority of Airbnb bookings connect a guest and host of a different language or country from each another. The marketplace exhibits a reverse language barrier: conversion is highest when guest and host use app in a different language from each other.
- I conducted more than 1000 interviews at Airbnb for software engineers, engineering managers, machine learning specialists, localization managers, and cross-functional Core Values.
- I was Airbnb's 16th engineer (when I left, there were about 1000). I set up the first engineer onboarding program, code style guides, engineering core values, code search tool, and documentation platform.
Phone banker, Hillary for Utah (Jul-Nov 2016)
Canvasser, Swing Left CA-10 (Jan 2018-present)
- I was founding member of team focused on Japanese translation quality of Google Translate. We improved English-to-Japanese translation quality to be better than all competitors and presented three papers at EMNLP (see Publications below).
- I developed and launched Google's first Thai translation system and contributed to the timely launch of the Haitian Creole system after the 2010 earthquake.
- As member of Search Quality team, I launched nine search ranking changes to significantly improve coverage of synonym matches. Some were Japanese-specific, like mining new katakana and kanji variants; some were global, like mining new synonym pairs that translate to the same word in another language.
- World #1 ranked Scrabble player in 2006, US #1 2006-2008.
- Cowrote Quackle, the strongest Scrabble AI, which is cross-platform and open-source.
- Represented USA at the World Scrabble Championships in 2005, 2007, and 2009.
Training a Parser for Machine Translation Reordering
Jason Katz-Brown, Slav Petrov, Ryan McDonald, Franz Och,
David Talbot, Hiroshi Ichikawa, Masakazu Seno, EMNLP 2011
Training dependency parsers by jointly optimizing multiple objectives
Keith Hall, Ryan McDonald, Jason Katz-Brown, Michael Ringgaard, EMNLP 2011
A lightweight evaluation framework for machine translation reordering
David Talbot, Hideto Kazawa, Hiroshi Ichikawa, Jason Katz-Brown, Masakazu Seno, Franz J. Och, WMT 2011
Syntactic reordering in preprocessing for Japanese-to-English translation: MIT system description for NTCIR-7 patent translation task
Jason Katz-Brown, Michael Collins, NTCIR 2008
Dating in Library