Re: The activity level of dylan.

In article <87henosoie.fsf@andreas.org>,
 Andreas Bogk <andreas@andreas.org> wrote:

> Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> writes:
>
> > With most things, i understand that it is fewer than 10% of people who
> > read a newsgroup or a mailing list who actually post.  I don't know if
> > that applies to Dylan, but I recall Andreas Bogk saying that a new
> > version of Gwydion Dylan pretty quickly gets several hundred downloads.
>
> Yes.  2.3.5 was downloaded over a thousand times, and that's without
> mirrors, people getting it from their Debian distribution etc.

Cool!

> 2.3.8, although not even officially announced here (I suppose I should
> do this now), has been downloaded more than a hundred times during the
> last week.

And I should also add that I personally probably never download it,
prefering to check the source code out of CVS.  I'm probably not the
only one.

> > There was an announcement here recently of a "DSP" system.  I'm quite
> > excited about that.  Dylan is far better suited to doing scripting-type
>
> Me too.  I want to get rid of PHP for our web pages as soon as
> possible.

Good idea!  We should eat our own dogfood.

For those who didn't get the acronym, btw, "DSP" is Dylan Server Pages,
in the same sense as "Java Server Pages".  Put simply, in JSP you have a
web page that contains some program code in Java.  When the page is
changed if is run through a converter which converts the HTML into print
statements in a subroutine and extracts the Java code into normal
statements.  This is then compiled into (pretty much) a CGI.  The whole
setup is such that relatively unskilled users can change the HTML parts
and don't hav to know wnything else.  The next time the web server is
asked for the page it notices the changed modification date and
automatically runs the JSP-to-servelet converter and the Java compiler
and then runs the resulting CGI.

-- Bruce