Re: dylan revival

    Jason> Ironically, two senior developers from Harlequin's Dylan
    Jason> team joined Symbian.

    Chris> It's a shame Symbian uses C++ for it's class
    Chris> frameworks. It's the BeOS situation all over again. Trying
    Chris> to port langauge implementations to it is much more
    Chris> difficult as a result because of the difficulty of
    Chris> integrating with C++.

Which brings the fickle ferris wheel of development fashion back to
why Microsoft invented COM (and then .NET), IBM invented SOM, the OMG
invented CORBA, etc. "Its deja vu all over again!" :-j

    Chris> I've managed to port a Forth to Symbian 6.0 which runs 'in
    Chris> the phone' on the Nokia 9210 for example. But I still face
    Chris> the problem of working with a C++ FFI. Especially on
    Chris> Symbian where everything is done via classes.

    Chris> I'd like a Lisp or Dylan that works on it but on the Nokia
    Chris> 9210 there is only about 3MB of free memory to play with
    Chris> and the less used the better to allow other applications to
    Chris> run. Would a Dylan implementation be able to run ok in this
    Chris> constrained space?

Irony upon irony Dylan was invented to run on the Apple Newton, but I
don't think standard FunDev apps and the accompanying Dylan runtime
DLLs would run in such a constrained environment. However, Gail was
working on 'whole program' compilation which achieved significant size
reductions. Those kind of programs would probably be suitable.

__Jason