Re: Simpe Gwydion question

Bruce Hoult (bruce@hoult.org) wrote:
: In article <bruce-103AB8.11061913072002@copper.ipg.tsnz.net>,
:  Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> wrote:

: I've got some good news for you.  I've just checked some modifications
: into cvs for the compiler which implement unboxed vectors of doubles.
: It took five lines of code :-)

: With one simple change your program now runs in 0.02 seconds instead of
: 1.23 seconds.  After increasing the number of iterations from 100 to
: 10,000 it takes 0.76 seconds.  So Dylan just got 160 times faster for
: this type of program.
<snip>

: I suspect this now beats CMUCL :-)  You're welcome.

: The change is this:

:    define constant <my-double-vector>
:       = limited(<simple-vector>, of: <double-float>);

: If you declare it as a limited version of <vector> then the compiler
: doesn't know whether vector-foo() is going to receive a fixed size or
: stretchy vector and so you get non-optimal code.  So we make sure it
: knows that it's going to get a fixed-size vector...

: -- Bruce

Good work, I fetched new version from CVS and I will try it.
Thanks
--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl    or hebisch@hera.math.uni.wroc.pl