Re: Diversity - existence, value, and pursuit.

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Johan Ovlinger wrote:

> I had expected someone to comment on this, but I was expecting someone
> to bring up what I still consider to one of the coolest hacks around:
> HP's dynamo (first hit on google) project. Basically, it applies

I'm my circle of friends, in an interesting abuse of url notation, we
would write : google://dynamo

> Why Hotspot fails to reach the fabled "speed of C" is another issue.
> Maybe it does? (Lore has it that it gets faster over timeframes
> measured in hours) Of course, we're not comparing apples to apples

Some of Java's sementics were originaly though to be optimizable, but it
turned out they weren't. They are : stack allocatable objects, array
bound checks and dynamic method call lookup. The
state-of-the-art algorithms to find the optimizable ones tend to have
fairly low hit rates.

Thus, I understand that any safe language will doubfully come much closer
to "speed of C" performance than Hotspot already did.

--

A la mer nous avons trempé crûment quelques gentilles allemandes stupidement bouleversées.

 - an oddly monotonic verse by Bens.

 Guillaume